Sunday, July 17, 2011

Week 2 - Response to Elaine Scott


Elaine your post was thoughtful and reflective. It is clear to me that you care greatly for the young adults you work with. I am super impressed you read the entire book already. I really enjoyed it myself. Your post inspired me and touched me as well. I too feel in similar ways in terms of "holding my passions for life in a box". I am so glad you are moving into a new phase in your life and letting things happen for you. It is apparent through your hard work throughout this entire program that you hold yourself to high expectations and are serious about pursuing your dreams. You are a positive influence on us all. Thank you for sharing such a personal side of yourself. We may not get to "see" each other in class, but your "true self" definitely shines through in your writing and work and for that I am greatly appreciative. 




Wk 3 Reading – Accomplishing Self











We are creatures of habits both good and bad. When we are used tonot looking at “the forest for the trees” or even deeper not seeing the trees for the forest, it is hard to change. I see this world today and I am included, where we succumb to life, as it is so much that we can’t envision anything better that what is. Zanders discussed in Chapter 7 that we need to, “be present to the way things are… and include our feelings about the way things are.” However, he goes on to state that this is, “Not the same as accepting the way things are.

When I managed my staff, especially the younger adults my objective wasn’t to rule over them. Oh they knew that Ms. Elaine was a serious Boss, but I cared and I showed it at every moment without losing my authority, but gaining their respect. I felt that if the system of Retail Management was not going to escalate me to the heights of my expectations the least I could do was make sure I gave these young people the tools to be as successful as I imagined and dreamed myself to be. How do we listen to others who may be able to help make our dreams come true? Zanders put it simply by, Figuring out “how much greatness you are willing to grant to others.” (p. 73)

Finding a balance between my “Calculating Self” and my “Central Self” has been a concept I never would have thought of if I had not read this book. It makes since now, nevertheless, that I see that I have stood in my own way of success. I can remember comments now that I think about of people always asking me if I was angry. The majority of the time I was not but I was always so deep in thought that I guess I looked angry. I will now adopt “Rule Number 6” into my thought and life process.

I have always been a Dreamer. I always wished to be in a better position but never could seem to find a way to get all my dreams out of my pocket and into reality. Chapter 7 shows that maybe I need to stop focusing on that so deeply and just, “be present without resistance.” Finishing this Masters Degree is my first step. I just need to let life happen, not fight against it, and realize that I still hold the steering wheel.

For a long part of my life I held my passions for life in a box that I created. I kept wondering why is it that I am still not happy or where I think I should be? I have all these talents shouldn’t I have been somewhere by now? Today I now work on learning where I put the lock to the box where all my passions lie. I may even have to go a step further and just break the damn lock off but how ever I need to do it I need to open that box and let my passions out and be fully present in my growth and journey.

I want to be one of the New Leaders and as stated in the video, distinguish the Downward Spiral and learn the skills needed to move others to find their possibilities as well as, achieving my own.

(photo credit: Reflection [Explored] by Lel4nd on Flickr)

1 comment:

  1. Crystal thank you so much for such thoughtful words. I would love to just talk with you from time to time. I love the energy I get or at times can give to another. I leave you with this short poem about the Art of Possibility.

    Poetry and music the arts and more
    I opened the book to what’s in store.
    To my surprise I thought like you
    As I contemplated all the points of view,
    The Art of Possibility revealed
    And the rediscovering friendship zealed.
    It made me see before I start
    That I first must touch and see my heart.
    To help another the objective begins,
    To love and give from passion within.

    – Elaine Scott (July 13, 2011)
    For Media Asset Creation Course

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...